Hyderabadi Special Khatti Dal Recipe
Khatti Dal is a very popular dal recipe in Hyderabad. It gives a tangy taste and is prepared by using tamarind tomato dal. It can be served as a side dish for kebabs or koftas.
Here is the recipe of a khatti dal in step by step process.
For pressure cooking the dal
- 1 cupToor dal/toovar dal/pigeon pea(yellow lentils) washed
- 1 tspTurmeric powder/haldi
- 3-4 slitGreen chilies
- 3-4Tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 glassWater
- 1 tspRed chili powder
- 1 tspTamarind, extracted pulp
For boiling the dal:
- to tastesalt
- 1 tspRoasted coriander seeds powder
- 1 tbspFresh coriander leaves
- 6-7Curry leaves
- 2 slitGreen chilies
- 1 tspCumin seeds(jeera)
- 1 tspMustard seeds(rai)
- 1Onion, finely chopped
- 1-2Garlic cloves
- 2-3Dried red chilies
- 10-15Curry leaves
For pressure cooking the dal:
- Take a pressure cooker, add toor dal, water, turmeric powder, green chilies, chopped tomatoes and pressure cook on low flame for around 15 minutes.
- After dal is cooked, switch of the flame, mash dal into a thin fine paste.
- Add red chili powder and mash it well.
- Add tamarind extracted pulp to the mashed dal and stir it well.
For boiling the dal:
- Add salt as per taste and add roasted coriander seeds powder.
- Check for the salt, add salt if required.
- Add green chilies, curry leaves, fresh coriander leaves and bring it to boil and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a tawa or pan.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds, let them crackle.
- Add finely chopped onions and cook till they turn brown in color.
- Add garlic cloves and stir well.
- Add dried red chilies and stir well for a few seconds.
- Add curry leaves and allow them to crackle.
- Add this tempering mixture to the dal.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
Cooking dal with different lentils gives a good tempering and good flavor.
Check for more dal recipes
- Be the first Review [Click Here]
Top Recipes Collection
- Best Homemade Grape Wine Recipe
- Chilled Mojitos Recipe
- Aachari Paneer Tikkas - Indian Food Recipe
- South Indian Pork Curry Recipe
- Cocktail Rum Punch Recipe
- Restaurant Style Paneer Butter Masala Recipe
- Palak Paneer Recipe
- Punjabi Bhindi Masala Fry Recipe
- Ramzan Special Chicken Biryani Recipe
- Homemade Mutton Paya Recipe