Quick and Healthy Vegetable Jowar Upma Recipe
Ready in a jiffy, Jowar Upma is a healthy snack that you can whip up for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just any time of the day. It is a much healthier alternative to the traditional rava upma. The vegetables add taste, crunch and nutrient quotient to the recipe.
- 2 cupJowar
- 1/2 cupOnion, finely chopped
- 1Carrot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cupSweet corn,(optional)
- 1/4 cupGreen peas
- 2 tablespoonsRoasted Peanuts
- 1 inchGinger, grated
- 2cloves Garlic, crushed
- 2Green Chilies, slit or chopped
- 2 teaspoonsLemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoonTurmeric powder (Haldi)
- Saltas per taste
- 2 teaspoonsBlack pepper powder
- 2 tablespoonsOlive Oil
- 4 cupsVegetable stock, or water
- Coriander leaves(Dhania), small bunch, finely chopped
- Wash and soak Jowar pearls overnight or for at least 6 - 7 hours in water, jowar is a millet that takes a long time to cook, so it is important to soak it.
- Once the Jowar is soaked, drain the excess water.
- Place the Jowar into the pressure cooker along with 4 cups of vegetable stock (or water) and salt.
- Cover the pressure cooker and 15 minutes and in a low flame cook for 10 minutes and turn off the heat.
- After 10 minutes turn off the heat and allow the pressure to release naturally.
- The Jowar will continue to cook in the pressure that exists in the cooker.
- Open the lid of the pressure cooker and check whether jowar is cooked
- Jowar pearls have chewy texture in comparison to other grains, so you will notice them begin hard, If you like it to be softer, you will need to add a little more water and allow it to cook through for some more time.
- If you notice that it has cooked well, but there is some excess water, drain the excess water.
- Steam the vegetables and keep them ready.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat and saute the chopped onion, garlic and ginger for a couple of minutes until it is soft.
- Once the onion turns translucent, add the peanuts and saute for another couple of minutes.
- Add the steamed vegetables, turmeric powder, Jowar, salt and black pepper.
- Give it a taste and adjust the seasonings to suit your taste.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid, reduce the heat to low and let Jowar Upma cook for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and drizzle lemon juice over upma.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Serve the Jowar Upma along with Coconut Chutney for a wholesome breakfast or even for dinner.
Also, Read Healthy Ragi Malt Preparation
- Be the first Review [Click Here]
Top Recipes Collection
- Chilled Mojitos Recipe
- Aachari Paneer Tikkas - Indian Food Recipe
- South Indian Pork Curry Recipe
- Cocktail Rum Punch Recipe
- Restaurant Style Paneer Butter Masala Recipe
- Palak Paneer Recipe
- Punjabi Bhindi Masala Fry Recipe
- How to Make Chocolate Truffles
- How to Make Crispy Aloo Tikki Recipe
- Ramzan Special Chicken Biryani Recipe