Restaurant Style Dal Makhani Recipe
Dal Makhani is one of the most popular lentil dishes originated from North India Dal Makhani literally translates to lentils cooked with butter. It is served with plain basmati rice or naan. Follow this Restaurant Style Dal Makhani Recipe.
for pressure cooking dal
- ¾ cupwhole black urad dal/ sabut urad dal
- ¼ cupkidney beans / rajma
- for soakingwater
- 3 cupswater, for pressure cooking
- to tastesalt
for dal Makhani recipe
- 1-2 tbspghee / clarified butter
- 1bay leaf / tej patta
- 2large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tspginger-garlic paste
- ½ tspturmeric powder
- 1large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tspcoriander powder
- ½ tspcumin powder
- 1 tspkashmiri chili powder, or as per your spice level
- to tastesalt
- 1 cupwater, or as required
- 2 tbspfresh cream, or as required
- fewcoriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tbspghee / clarified butter
- generous pinchhing / asafoetida
- ¾ tspkashmiri red chili powder
- ¼ tspgaram masala (optional)
For pressure cooking dal recipe
- Take 1 cup of black urad dal and ¼ cup of rajma in a large bowl and add enough water and soak overnight or at least for 8 hours.
- Rinse the dal in a running water and transfer to a cooker and add 3 cups of water and salt and close the lid.
- Pressure cook on medium flame for35 min or till the dals is cooked completely.
For dal Makhani recipe
- In a large kadai add a tbsp of ghee and saute bay leaf for a minute or till they turn fragrant.
- Add finely chopped onions and saute till they change in color.
- Once onions are done, add ginger-garlic paste and saute till raw smell disappears completely.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till they are soft.
- Add turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder, chili powder and salt to taste and fry the masala for a minute.
- Once the masala starts releasing oil from the sides, add cooked dal and give a good stir.
- adjust the consistency by adding 1 cup of water or as required.
- cook for 15 minutes or more till the dal absorbs flavor and turns thick and to get the creamy texture, add 2 tbsp of fresh cream.
- You can also skip or increase the amount of cream according to your preference.
- Top up with fresh coriander leaves.
For tempering recipe
- Heat tadka pan, and add a tbsp or more ghee and once it begins to melts, add hing.
- Add chili powder and garam masala (optional) and fry for 2-3 seconds and immediately pour the tempering over dal makhani and give a good mix to get bright color and flavor.
- Serve dal makhani with jeera rice or garlic naan.
- Slow cook the dal to get a rich flavor.
- Rajma is optional, however, it adds more flavor to dal makhani.
- If you are not diet conscious, increase the amount of ghee.
- Add dry fenugreek leaves / kasoori methi for rich flavor.
Also, Read Restaurant Style Dal Tadka Recipe – Dal Fry
By Meghna Nath
- Be the first Review [Click Here]
Top Recipes Collection
- Chilled Mojitos Recipe
- Aachari Paneer Tikkas - Indian Food Recipe
- South Indian Pork Curry Recipe
- Cocktail Rum Punch Recipe
- Restaurant Style Paneer Butter Masala Recipe
- Palak Paneer Recipe
- Punjabi Bhindi Masala Fry Recipe
- Ramzan Special Chicken Biryani Recipe
- How to Make Chocolate Truffles
- How to Make Crispy Aloo Tikki Recipe