Masala Stuffed Karela Recipe
Masala Stuffed Karela( Bitter Gourd) is a Punjabi delicacy. It is stuffed with a mouthwatering masala that has a rich spicy taste. Serve this with rotis or rice to make a homely and satisfying meal.
For the Marinate
- 4bitter gourd (karela)
- 1 tablespoonsalt
- 1 tablespoonlemon juice
- 2 tbspghee
- choppedgarlic (lehsun)
- 2 tspchopped green chilies
- 1/2 cupchopped tomatoes
- 2 tspchopped ginger (adrak)
- 2 tbsplemon juice
- 2 tspPunjabi garam masala(for the see the notes below)
- 1 tspcoriander (dhania) powder
- 2 tbspchopped coriander (dhania) for the garnish
- 2 tablespoonsoil
- 1 teaspooncumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 teaspoonasafoetida (hing)
- 2 tablespoonsgram flour (besan)
- 2 tablespoonscoriander powder (dhania)
- 1 tablespoonfennel seeds powder (saunf)
- 1 1/2 teaspoonsalt
- 1/2 teaspoonturmeric
- 1/2 teaspoonred chili powder adjust to taste
- 1-1/2 tablespoonmango powder (amchoor)
- 2 tablespoonsof oil
- 1/2 teaspoonsalt
For the Filling
For Cooking Step
Preparing the Kerala
- Wash the karela thoroughly and use a knife, scrape the skin and set the scraps aside.
- Make a lengthwise slit in the karela and remove the seeds.
- Add karela to a bowl and mix and sprinkle with salt and lemon juice and let it marinate for at least an hour.
- Squeeze the karela to remove all the marinade and wash karela twice with hot water and then squeeze out all the water.
- Separate the scrapings from the whole karela.
Preparing the Filling:
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil and if the seed cracks right away, the oil is ready.
- Add the cumin seeds and asafoetida to the oil and after the cumin seeds crack, add the karela scrapings and stir- fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add gram flour (besan) and stir-fry for a minute.
- Add coriander powder, fennel powder, turmeric, chili powder, and mango powder and saute for a minute and then turn off the heat.
- Stuff the split karelas with this spice mixture
- Tie the karelas with a thread so that the stuffing does not come out while cooking.
Cooking the Stuffed karelas:
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan over medium heat and spread the stuffed karelas in the pan and sprinkle with salt.
- Cover the pan and let it cook for about 2 minutes.
- Turn the karelas over to the uncooked side and cook for about 1 minute and repeat until all four sides of the karelas are cooked.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of water and the remaining spice mixture over the karelas. Cover the pan and let it cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove the lid to see if the karelas are tender and gently turn them over a few more times, make sure they are covered with the spice mixture.
- Stuffed karela can be served hot or cold and can be refrigerated up to a week.
- For a slightly sweeter taste add 2 tablespoons of sugar and cook with spice filling.
Check More Punjabi Recipes
- Be the first Review [Click Here]
Top Recipes Collection
- Chilled Mojitos Recipe
- Aachari Paneer Tikkas - Indian Food Recipe
- Cocktail Rum Punch Recipe
- South Indian Pork Curry Recipe
- Restaurant Style Paneer Butter Masala Recipe
- Palak Paneer Recipe
- How to Make Chocolate Truffles
- Punjabi Bhindi Masala Fry Recipe
- How to Make Crispy Aloo Tikki Recipe
- Mint Aloo Bath Recipe