Dalma (Lentil Cooked in Vegetable) Recipe
Dalma is a dal cooked with vegetables, a delicacy from the state of Orrisa. The Dalma recipe has the right combination of taste and health, that is packed with proteins from dal and minerals and vitamins from the vegetables. Serve this one pot dal along with steamed rice.
- 1 cupToor Dal (Split)
- 2Potatoes (aloo), cubed
- 1Carrot, cubed
- 1/2 cupPumpkin, chopped
- 1/2 cupEggplant (Brinjal), chopped
- 1/2 cupPapaya, green one, chopped
- 1Onion, finely chopped
- 1Tomato, finely chopped
- 1 inchGinger
- 1Bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 tablespoonGhee
- 4cloves Garlic
- 2Green Chilies
- 1Dry red chili
- 1 teaspoonPanch Phoran Masala( this masala consist of nigella seeds, cumin seeds, black mustard seeds, and fenugreek seed
- 1/2 teaspoonGaram masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoonTurmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoonCumin powder
- 1 teaspoonRed chili powder
- saltto taste
- 2 tablespoonsFresh coconut, thinly shaved coconut slices
- Coriander leaves(Dhania), a small bunch, finely chopped
- Chopped all the vegetable and keep it aside.
- Add the vegetables, dal, turmeric powder, green chilies, onions, bay leaf, salt and 3 cups of water into the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 35 min.
- Cook on a low flame for 3 min and switch off the heat and the dal will continue to cook in the pressure cooker as long as there is pressure and once the pressure releases completely, open the cooker and keep the dal aside.
- Use a mortar and pestle pound the ginger and garlic until you get a rough paste.
- Heat the ghee in a heavy bottomed pan on medium heat and add the red chilies, panch phoran, the red chili powder, the garam masala powder and the pounded ginger garlic.
- Stir fry for a few seconds until you can smell the roasted aromas and take care to cook on a low flame or else the spices can burn and smoke.
- Add this masala to the cooked dal and give it a good stir and check for salt and spices and adjust it according to your taste.
- You can add some water to adjust the consistency of the dal and give a quick boil.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with shaved coconut and the coriander leaves and serve. It.
- Serve the Dalma as a delicious one-pot dal along with steamed rice or jeera pulao.
- Be the first Review [Click Here]
Top Recipes Collection
- Chilled Mojitos Recipe
- Aachari Paneer Tikkas - Indian Food Recipe
- Best Homemade Grape Wine Recipe
- South Indian Pork Curry Recipe
- Cocktail Rum Punch Recipe
- Restaurant Style Paneer Butter Masala Recipe
- Palak Paneer Recipe
- Punjabi Bhindi Masala Fry Recipe
- Ramzan Special Chicken Biryani Recipe
- Homemade Mutton Paya Recipe