Authentic Maharashtrian Varan Bhaat Recipe
Varan Bhaat is an authentic Maharashtrian dish. It is a combination of hot rice topped with ghee and lentil curry(dal). This traditionally prepared on festive season and it is a one pot meal. It is light, tasty, and also healthy. Try this traditional recipe at your home.
- 1 cuptoovar (arhar) dal , washed and drained
- 4 cupscooked rice
- 1/4 cupfinely chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tspcumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 cupfinely chopped onions
- 1 tspoil
- 1 tsproughly chopped green chilies
- saltto taste
- 1/2 tspturmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tbspfinely chopped coriander (dhania)
- 4 tspghee
For The Garnish
- 2 tbspfinely chopped coriander (dhania)
For Cooking Rice
- 1 1/4 cupsraw rice (chawal)
- 1 tbspoil
- saltto taste
For the Cooking the rice
- Wash the rice thoroughly and soak in 3 cups of water for 30 minutes and drain the water from the rice and keep it aside.
- Boil a vesselful of water, add 1 tbsp of oil and salt and add the rice to the boiling water and cook till the rice is cooked, stir once or twice in between and switch off the flame
- Pour into a colander and let the water drain out and keep it aside.
For the dal
- In a pressure cooker add toovar dal, tomatoes, cumin seeds, onions, oil, green chilies, salt and 2½ cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 25 min.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid and add the turmeric powder and coriander and mix it well by using a hand blender.
- Put 1 cup of cooked rice in a serving bowl, top it with ¼ Th of the dal mixture and top it with ghee evenly over it.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it hot.
- Be the first Review [Click Here]
Top Recipes Collection
- Best Homemade Grape Wine Recipe
- Chilled Mojitos Recipe
- Aachari Paneer Tikkas - Indian Food Recipe
- South Indian Pork Curry Recipe
- Cocktail Rum Punch Recipe
- Restaurant Style Paneer Butter Masala Recipe
- Homemade Mutton Paya Recipe
- Palak Paneer Recipe
- Ramzan Special Chicken Biryani Recipe
- Punjabi Bhindi Masala Fry Recipe